Clicking Sound between Clips / Cuts 01 Feb 2020 00:35 #104283

• Festivals
  • Festivals's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Guys,
I really hope someone can help me here.
I am a small YouTuber who just switched from IMovie to FCPX.
I love the program and its possibilities BUT I get extremely annoying clicking sounds between the clips. Especially in a more quite scenario it is really annoying. It happens not with each cut maybe out of 100 cuts I get 15 with these clicks.
I cut more that 200 videos before on IMovie and this issue din't appear once?
I did reinstall the software and my Mac but still the same :(

I am using am MacBook Pro 2015 together with my Canon G7X. I shout 25 fps and the Audio is 48KHz
Hope somebody has an Idea.
Thanks a lot! (hopeful)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Clicking Sound between Clips / Cuts 01 Feb 2020 10:03 #104320

• Axel
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 70
That's because you cut through an outgoing or incoming noise in the sound. Nothing wrong with your FCP copy. To fix it, you need to create an audio transition. There are several ways to do this. The easiest one, if you also have Motion, is to open an FCPX transition there - and just save it as (i.e.) "Sound Only". It will appear in the transition tab, and you make it your default transition by right-clicking on it, then it's automatically applied with cmd t. There also used to be a downloadable template, you can google it.

The official method affords more steps but usually also delivers better results: expand the clip-audio by double-clicking on the clip, extend it so that it overlaps with the adjacent clips. Then you go >Top Menu >Modify >Adjust Volume >Apply Audio fades . Since you will use these fades constantly, I recommend you go to >Final Cut Pro > Commands >Customize and assign shortcuts to these actions.

Hope this was helpful.

Last edit: by Axel.

Clicking Sound between Clips / Cuts 01 Feb 2020 11:38 #104322

• Festivals
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you Axel,

that was very helpful!
And it works great.
It is just a bit more effort that I was hoping for. :-) Since I have quite a lot of these click segments...
I am really confused that in more than 200 Videos on Imovie I never realized that issue. And I usually pay close attention to the audio.
Is it possibe that Imovie is doing anything different or even better?

BR
Benjamin

Clicking Sound between Clips / Cuts 01 Feb 2020 14:05 #104325

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 402
"...expand the clip-audio by double-clicking on the clip..."

Actually, double-click the audio portion of the clip in the Timeline.
Or right-click it and from the pop-up menu choose Expand Audio...
But yeah, what Axel says is what you need to do.

Clicking Sound between Clips / Cuts 02 Feb 2020 05:39 #104327

• Axel
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Festivals wrote: Thank you Axel,

that was very helpful!
And it works great.
It is just a bit more effort that I was hoping for. :-) Since I have quite a lot of these click segments...
I am really confused that in more than 200 Videos on Imovie I never realized that issue. And I usually pay close attention to the audio.
Is it possibe that Imovie is doing anything different or even better?

BR
Benjamin

To be honest, I use iMovie only for vacation videos, where I shoot, edit and share on an iPhone. I did watch a few Ripple tutorials though, and for everybody in this forum who long ago dismissed the overly simplified and „primitive“ iMovie, here is news that you might have missed: it has really evolved. Works almost exactly like FCP now, perhaps because Apple wanted FCP to be able to read iMovie libraries and projects.

Your observation is intriguing. If iMovie applies audio transitions by default or cuts through silence on the subframe level ...

Do you know about Adobes „Rush“? It works on mobile devices as well as on desktop computers, and Premiere understands it‘s projects. It is, the name implies it, for rushes. Or for simple work.

What‘s very interesting is that it has no video tracks, only connected clips.

Reminds me of something, but I'm at a loss right now ;)

It has audio tracks though (up to three, including the camera audio). You can‘t apply an audio transition to camera audio there. It didn’t occur to me when I tried it, but they also must have implemented a way to avoid the clicking.

Clicking Sound between Clips / Cuts 02 Feb 2020 11:09 #104331

• Axel
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Dear Festivals,
thank you for the interesting request.

Just tested it. Spliced together some clips with wildly different atmo in iMovie and opened the timeline in FCPX. No clicking there either.

Zoomed into the timeline to see what was going on. See attachment.

There is a very short fade on either side of the audio. The lighter grey bar in the picture represents one frame, the fade is about a third of that frame. Since it was shot @24 fps, it means the fade only lasts 1/72 sec.

After telling FCP to "Remove Fades" (ctrl alt a on my custom command preset), I can hear the hard clicks of the edit points.

You can use that to your advantage. 1/72 in a 24p project roughly equals 0.0138 seconds. In FCP's preferences under Editing you can choose an audio fade duration of x,xx seconds, so 0,01 seconds (even a bit shorter) is the closest I could get.

Now I recommend the custom command alt + a to apply the audio handles. You can also select your whole timeline and put the fades on all audio across the board after editing.

That said, you sometimes need an actual transition instead of just a click-free hard cut. Without the timeline being zoomed in to frame level, you couldn't tell if there was a fade or not. But if you look harder, you see the handle (actually the second keyframe of the fade-volume) sticking at the clip boarder. From there, you can easily grip it and pull it out. Good.
Attachments:

Clicking Sound between Clips / Cuts 03 Feb 2020 22:51 #104368

• Festivals
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Wow , that'S what I call professional investigation! Very interesting. I will definitely apply this to my next project.
Thank's!

Clicking Sound between Clips / Cuts 04 Feb 2020 16:52 #104382

• benhalsall
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I come across this from time-to-time and as well as Axel's excellent suggestion Alex4D (great plugins) has an audio only transition that I have used occasionally.

blog.alex4d.com/2011/07/11/fcpx-transition-sound-only/

Last edit: by benhalsall.

Clicking Sound between Clips / Cuts 04 Feb 2020 23:41 #104394

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 402
I just will it to play properly with the awesome power of my mind.

Never works, but that's what I do...

Then I feel inadequate and just use Alex's transition.

Last edit: by FCPX.guru.
  • Page: