fbpx
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: How do I disable audio in Browser clips?

How do I disable audio in Browser clips? 19 Dec 2019 20:04 #103361

• rnb
  • rnb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Howdy, just wondering if there is a way to disable/mute audio for browser clips? I'm working through all my recently imported clips in the Browser creating Favourites and with I/O/J/K/L/F keys and want to listen to iTunes without the audio from each clip chiming in... starting to drive me nuts haha. Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

How do I disable audio in Browser clips? 19 Dec 2019 20:24 #103362

• thinkfilm
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 26
Someone will correct me if there is a simpler way but you could just select all the clips in the browser and then use the volume slider in the Audio tab in the Inspector panel to reduce the volume of all selected clips, right?

Last edit: by thinkfilm.

How do I disable audio in Browser clips? 19 Dec 2019 20:27 #103363

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 402
S turns skimming on and off.
Shift-S turns the audio part of the skimmer on and off.

How do I disable audio in Browser clips? 19 Dec 2019 20:38 #103364

• rnb
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Ahhhh yes.... Shift-S! Another addition to my keyboard command repertoire. Muchas gracias!

Edit: spoke too soon... if i'm not mistaken that command enables/disables audio for timeline clips... I don't have a project or a timeline yet... still sorting through and Favouriting regions of 'Browser' clips.

Edit 2: spoke too soon again.... it does seem to work with Browser clips, strange the second time I tried flipping back and forth with Shift-S didn't disable/enable the audio (even though I could see the menu item highlighting for a brief second while going to and fro). Thanks again!

Edit 3: after reading Thinkfilm's reply that's why I was confused... this only works when skimming, not playing the Browser clip. =\. So it seems there is not way to disable audio in a Browser clip =[

Last edit: by rnb.

How do I disable audio in Browser clips? 19 Dec 2019 20:55 #103365

• thinkfilm
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Quite so, as FCPX.guru says shift-s to disable audio skimming is the way to go. The OP mentioned using the JKL keys to review your clips in the browser - shift-s doesn't disable playback audio unless you are skimming.

How do I disable audio in Browser clips? 19 Dec 2019 21:14 #103366

• thinkfilm
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
FWIW, here is the FCPX manual page on how to silence audio from clips or ranges: support.apple.com/guide/final-cut-pro/so...lips-ver717f57b4/mac

This does work if you select all the clips too. Then you can use JKL to play with silenced audio in the browser.

Added Note: You could setup a custom hotkey for the Modify> Adjust Volume > Silence menu item in the Command Editor - see attached..
Attachments:

How do I disable audio in Browser clips? 19 Dec 2019 21:16 #103367

• rnb
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Awesome... thanks for all the help!

How do I disable audio in Browser clips? 20 Dec 2019 10:05 #103377

• Axel
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 70
thinkfilm wrote:
You could setup a custom hotkey for the Modify> Adjust Volume > Silence menu item in the Command Editor - see attached..

I use "0" (zero) for that - easy to remember. It's not a toggle! For "Reset volume (0 dB)" I recommend alt+0 (not used per default).

However, absent the option to manage audio-output for the whole app (he wants FCP to be silent and iTunes -now Music!- not) it's more elegant to disable the clip-audio of all clips in the browser ("Dialog") in Inspector.

Downside of both is that you shouldn't forget to reverse the silencing/disabling.

Last edit: by Axel.

How do I disable audio in Browser clips? 20 Dec 2019 12:58 #103378

• thinkfilm
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Axel Wrote:
I use "0" (zero) for that - easy to remember. It's not a toggle! For "Reset volume (0 dB)" I recommend alt+0 (not used per default).

Axel, I sincerely believe you need to publish an "Annotated Companion Guide to the FCPX Official Manual." "0" and "alt-0" - intuitive. Thanks for that.

How do I disable audio in Browser clips? 20 Dec 2019 17:55 #103380

• joema
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 279
The OP has been answered, but you can also select all clips in the browser and using the audio inspector disable whatever components you want on the entire selected batch. We do this frequently when using Tentacle Sync which injects LTC audio timecode on one side of one channel. Once synced we don't need to hear that noise, so we just select all clips and disable that component, yet we can still hear the on-camera audio.

Last edit: by joema.
  • Page: