Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: How to find bit depth in FCP X?

How to find bit depth in FCP X? 12 Jul 2019 09:27 #100420

I'm supposed to export a music video in a dpx sequence but who I import the dpx sequence into after effects to check my output, the color seems to have changed drastically! Is this an issue with FCP X or After Effects settings? Regardless, could you guys tell me where I can find the bit depth of my final cut pro x project, cause I think this is why the color is changing? When I export in a t TIFF or PNG sequence, the color seems fine.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

How to find bit depth in FCP X? 13 Jul 2019 18:25 #100432

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 351
What is the bit depth of the original footage? That'll determine it mostly.

Also, different apps, different computer monitors, all show slightly different colors. Go to the TV section of a large store, all those TVs on at the same time, no two have the same coloring. This can only be properly judged on a calibrated broadcast monitor.

Apple's own apps, when used with an Apple monitor, should be fairly accurate with their newest color sync technology, forget what the official name of it is.

But check what color space your project is set up for in each app, be sure both are using something like Rec 709 or whatever.
Last Edit: 13 Jul 2019 18:28 by FCPX.guru.

How to find bit depth in FCP X? 16 Jul 2019 22:26 #100455

• PO
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Hello Rajarajan. I had to make a DPX sequence for a hour film festival. The film was 3 hours long but everything went very smoothly. But the output files were strange, grey in comparison to the original files. They looked like LOG. I called Apple and they said send them some files and provided a link. Unfortunately the link wasn't allowed to accept my files. I had a deadline so we ended up resetting the levels in Resolve prior to outputting the DCP. does that sound like the same issue?

How to find bit depth in FCP X? 17 Jul 2019 16:53 #100466

Yes this is the exact issue I'm having. I've never worked on a feature before, and I'm editing some montage sequences and music videos within the film in FCP. The output file scared me.

How to find bit depth in FCP X? 18 Jul 2019 06:18 #100477

• PO
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
Yes, scared me too. What I ended up doing was a line up to bars and spot checks. It seemed to expand out with no degradation but I would have loved Apple to be able to have explained it. I never did get a file to them.