Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Fix changing light/color in clip

Fix changing light/color in clip 16 Apr 2019 12:08 #99655

• Dinky
  • Senior Boarder
Hi all,

Just received a clip which is showing changing exposures and colors (white balance) throughout the whole clip. Changes in these conditions occur ever so many seconds and key framing exposure and/or white balance would be a complete disaster.

I tried using Analyse and Fix combined with Balance Color, but that doesn't do much

Is there a way (effect/plugin) to do this automatically, e.g. based on one frame in the clip ?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Fix changing light/color in clip 16 Apr 2019 14:19 #99658

• dgwvideo
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 216
No good way to do this other than manually. This is often a problem when using auto white balance (especially with DSLR's). You can keyframe the exposure adjustments over various sections of the clip to minimize having to do every single frame, but depending on how often and to what degree there is a difference, this will also be cumbersome.
Creating history....one edit at a time !

Fix changing light/color in clip 17 Apr 2019 07:30 #99675

• Axel
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 58
Dinky wrote:
Changes in these conditions occur ever so many seconds and key framing exposure and/or white balance would be a complete disaster.

You know that you basically need to set *one* keyframe between changes for many adjustments within the same color tool? In that if you have changes in both exposure and temperature you don't reset all values but just set one keyframe shortly before the changes occur? You can use the comparison viewer to compare the scopes. And that you can later easily adjust the position of the keyframes in the keyframe editor? Hardly a "complete disaster".
Last Edit: 17 Apr 2019 07:40 by Axel.

Fix changing light/color in clip 17 Apr 2019 08:23 #99677

• Dinky
  • Senior Boarder
It would be easier if both exposure- and color change would occur at the same frame in the clip. That, of course, is not the situation. Both need their own keyframe sequence. Even for a 2 minute clip with frequently changing conditions that's a lot of work. Admitted, on a world scale of terrible things happening, calling this a "complete disaster" may be a little over the top, but I hope you get my drift...

Fix changing light/color in clip 17 Apr 2019 11:04 #99682

• FCPX.guru
  • Platinum Boarder
  • bbalser.com
  • Thank you received: 346
It doesn't matter where either needs a keyframe, making one overall keyframe for the Color effect does the same thing, fewer balls to juggle. Both don't "need" their own keyframe, the same result is achieved with fewer headaches.

Fix changing light/color in clip 17 Apr 2019 11:33 #99685

• Dinky
  • Senior Boarder
I'm still on 10.4, so e.g. I miss the Comparison Viewer and the Color Correction is not keyable. So I need to apply two 3rd party effects to achieve what I want.
Desperately need to upgrade to Mojave so i can use the latest FCPX release

Fix changing light/color in clip 03 May 2019 12:55 #99880

• Poulsen
  • Fresh Boarder
Good afternoon.
Finally I found answers for my questions.
Thanks alot for sharing.
Good luck