Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Compatibility FCPX on Mavericks & Other Apps

Compatibility FCPX on Mavericks & Other Apps 24 Oct 2013 03:25 #33072

• dgwvideo
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 215
Hey, Ben
Legacy FCP is all but toast, HOWEVER, FCPX still has SD issues although they are much better in 10.0.9 than previous versions. I do many tape and film conversions to DVD weekly, and one irritating bug is that if capturing SD video with erratic timecode, poor control track, etc., FCPX will abort capture, but even worse, while it claims everything captured up to that point is saved, it is not. The entire clip is lost and never saved. So I have to resort to my legacy FCP 6.06 log and capture which keeps the file and allows me to recapture the next good section after the glitch.

FCPX works fine with any professionally recorded tape that has VITC or LTC intact. But any 20 year old VHS with serious dropouts is game over.

I am looking into having my conversion hardware inject a replacement TC track to keep things in tact even if the video signal is momentarily lost, but FCPX handles this much less efficiently than does Legacy FCP.

I should add that if you manually STOP the FCPX capture before the video signal ends, then the capture is successful.
Creating history....one edit at a time !
Last Edit: 24 Oct 2013 03:27 by dgwvideo. Reason: added more info
The administrator has disabled public write access.

FCP 7 and problems log and transfer with Mavericks 24 Oct 2013 17:45 #33105

• joshbenson
  • Fresh Boarder
Hey all:

I upgraded to Mavericks. I'm using FCP 7 and I tried to log and transfer from my P2 camera.

When you first click the option, nothing happens. When you click it again, the log and transfer window opens but the FCP crashes.

No idea what to do. Is there a workaround to get the clips into FCP 7?

Rookie mistake upgrading. GRRRR.

Thanks for your help.

JB
:angry:

Compatibility FCPX on Mavericks & Other Apps 24 Oct 2013 17:52 #33106

• mattvolpe
  • Fresh Boarder
JB hold on a sec, so you upgraded to MAVERICK 10.9 and you can still open and work with FCP 7? correct? it opens and works?

thanks matt

Compatibility FCPX on Mavericks & Other Apps 24 Oct 2013 18:04 #33107

• joshbenson
  • Fresh Boarder
That's right. I am running FCP 7.0.3 and it works fine except for the log and transfer. (Fine as in so far...opens and functions).

Compatibility FCPX on Mavericks & Other Apps 24 Oct 2013 18:22 #33109

• mattvolpe
  • Fresh Boarder
okay that is good to know thanks JB:) I run 7.0.3 as well and I have been afraid to go up to MAVERICK in case it did not function. May i ask you- i assume that you had FCP 7.0.3 on your machine before you upgraded to MAVERICK right? in other words you did not up grade to maverick and THEN install FCP 7, correct?
sorry to hear you are having trouble with the transfer from your camera... wish I could help with that...

matt

Compatibility FCPX on Mavericks & Other Apps 24 Oct 2013 18:43 #33111

• joshbenson
  • Fresh Boarder
That's right. I have been using FCP 7 for a couple years. Haven't upgraded to X yet because other companies I was working with still didn't upgrade so we had to keep them the same. But yes to your question. It was already installed. I had transferred clips a few days ago, now I can't. Frustrating. But as for basic functionality, it's working.

Compatibility FCPX on Mavericks & Other Apps 24 Oct 2013 18:44 #33112

• mattvolpe
  • Fresh Boarder
okay many thanks for the clarification JB, appreciate it. If I happen to come across any answers to your transfer problem I'll be sure to let you know. Best, Matt

Compatibility FCPX on Mavericks & Other Apps 24 Oct 2013 19:05 #33114

• cseeman
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 59
Just a thought or two. After Mavericks update one might
Repair Disk Permissions
Toss FCP7 preferences.
Create New User Admin account and test in new account which would have both fresh OS user and FCP7 user preferences.

Compatibility FCPX on Mavericks & Other Apps 24 Oct 2013 19:07 #33115

• mattvolpe
  • Fresh Boarder
cool thanks for the advice :)

Compatibility FCPX on Mavericks & Other Apps 25 Oct 2013 00:14 #33122

• Redifer
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 68
I put Maverick on my fiance's Macbook Pro (a couple of years old, max). Everything is taking ridiculous amounts of time to launch, like Photoshop CS6. The computer as a whole just seems a bit slower (much much much much MUCH slower than my 2006 Mac Pro). Maybe I need Onyx to clean up cached files or something (or maybe the computer is trying to do that itself when I'm using it since she never leaves it on when it isn't being used).

Do they still make Onyx? Or is there a better way?
Last Edit: 25 Oct 2013 00:15 by Redifer.

Compatibility FCPX on Mavericks & Other Apps 25 Oct 2013 00:20 #33124

• plysat
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 67
"I put Maverick on my fiance's Macbook Pro (a couple of years old, max). Everything is taking ridiculous amounts of time to launch..."

Dunno how long ago you did this, but FWIW, Mavericks does a whole ton of background stuff for a while when it's first installed (not least of which is spotlight re-indexing) so it may get better if this is the case. FWIW, I haven't seen this on my iMac or MB Air (once it settles in). It's noticeable enough that there was discussion during the beta that Apple should throw up a dialog warning folks of this, but it didn't happen...
Can't sleep? Try this: fcpxpert.net ;-)
Last Edit: 25 Oct 2013 00:21 by plysat.

Compatibility FCPX on Mavericks & Other Apps 25 Oct 2013 01:09 #33126

• Bobbyco
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 21
Also, check/repair permissions if that wasn't done before upgrade.

Also+ check compatibility and availability of app updates for startup items and preference panes from 3rd parties.

Compatibility FCPX on Mavericks & Other Apps 25 Oct 2013 01:11 #33127

• cgbier
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 53
Sadly, Onyx doesn't work with 10.9.

(have some issues with my iWork/iLife upgrade)

Compatibility FCPX on Mavericks & Other Apps 25 Oct 2013 01:48 #33131

• PaulW
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
SmartSound's SonicFire Pro5 does not work under Mavericks - you need to purchase the new upgrade evidently to get around the problem, as I just found out.

Compatibility FCPX on Mavericks & Other Apps 28 Oct 2013 18:20 #33377

• joshbenson
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for all of these ideas.

I agree in that a lot of stuff takes time to load. For instance if you open an image in Preview, it will take awhile to open. It's annoying. Same with programs opening. I'm hoping it's temporary like one of the poster's said.

Thanks for the tip on trashing preferences. I'm going to try that now. I did do a disk repair, but didn't do much.

I will keep trying and find a solution hopefully. Need to have log and transfer working THIS WEEK!

Where there's a will, there's a way, right?

Thanks for the help.

Compatibility FCPX on Mavericks & Other Apps 28 Oct 2013 20:09 #33386

• Redifer
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 68
The slow launching and random hesitations don't seem to have fixed themselves either on my fiance's Macbook Pro or my friend's Macbook Pro who lives in another state. Some people have suggested a "clean install" but here's the thing: 99% of people will use the normal update method without doing a clean install. Therefore Apple needs to get their stuff together and make sure their new OSes work as intended by doing this. Who has time to reinstall every single application? I have bunches of applications that would need to be reinstalled from an installer (some of which only work in PPC mode for some bizarre reason). And then digging out all of the serials and typing that stuff in etc etc etc. No thanks.

Make it work, Apple! Let's hope 10.9.1 fixes it.

Compatibility FCPX on Mavericks & Other Apps 28 Oct 2013 20:27 #33387

• waternyc
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
Let me tell you people. Unfortunately, I usually don't post unless I have some kind of issue and of course to help others in need. But this time I just have a small project that I actually imported clips on in OSX M. Lion. Currently, in Mav after the upgrade, I've noticed an astonishing improvement. The "share/export" speed is ridiculously faster. On two occasions I left my desk to take a walk, see what the family is doing, monied on back, only to find and see my exported "movie" at 100%.

It is shockingly faster on exports. I'm a happy camper.
Last Edit: 28 Oct 2013 20:28 by waternyc.

Compatibility FCPX on Mavericks & Other Apps 29 Oct 2013 00:51 #33394

• plysat
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 67
"Make it work, Apple! Let's hope 10.9.1 fixes it."

FWIW, which is nothing... :-) I've installed 10.9 over existing OS's on 3 drives with no problems. Early 2012 MB Air with an SSD, 2012 iMac with a 3TB fusion drive, and a toshiba 5200 RPM external 1.5TB drive. The external drive is used to boot the iMac and has had 5 developer previews of 10.9 installed, updated, and installed over. The release version was installed over the first GM, so 6 different 10.9 installs on this one drive. It works just fine. All these drives have a boatload of random apps, old and new. They're not pristine, uncluttered drives at all...

EDIT: I do, however, run disk utility regularly to find, and fix, any problems that might be festering. Tiny disk errors tend to get exponentially worse if not addressed right away...
Can't sleep? Try this: fcpxpert.net ;-)
Last Edit: 29 Oct 2013 00:56 by plysat.

Compatibility FCPX on Mavericks & Other Apps 30 Oct 2013 20:18 #33513

• Soundwise
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 39
My only concern is this strange dynamic_cast error 1, that keeps popping few thousand times a second in Console log:

30.10.2013 19.10.13,436 Final Cut Pro[1540]: dynamic_cast error 1: Both of the following type_info's should have public visibility. At least one of them is hidden. 23PCSerializerWriteStream, 17PCHashWriteStream.

I haven't done any heavy edit testing yet but it does make the fans rev up more than usual.

My Setup: MBP late '11 with 16GB of RAM and AMD Radeon HD 6770M with 1024 Mt of VRAM.

I have sent feedback to Apple.

Compatibility FCPX on Mavericks & Other Apps 01 Nov 2013 16:45 #33591

• Scrat
  • Fresh Boarder
Onyx 2.8.0 for Mavericks is back.