Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: FCPX Plugin Technicolor Color Assist Gone

FCPX Plugin Technicolor Color Assist Gone 29 Jun 2013 06:01 #27886

• cseeman
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 59
The administrator has disabled public write access.

FCPX Plugin Technicolor Color Assist Gone 29 Jun 2013 06:59 #27889

• Mark Dobson
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
They sent round a survey recently so maybe the results of that have affected the decision.

I thought the product had a lot of potential but with the EOL and lack of future support I've asked for my money back.

It's highly likely that the next update of FCPX will be the most substantial one yet and I've no confidence that an unsupported plugin, especially one as complex as Color Assist, will continue to work.

FCPX Plugin Technicolor Color Assist Gone 29 Jun 2013 07:15 #27890

• Mark Dobson
  • Junior Boarder
Well I've just received direct personal confirmation that my order has been cancelled.

Technicolor seem to be dealing with this in a very responsible manner. All my dealings with them have been very supportive and one can only speculate as to the reason behind the sudden EOL.

I have been really impressed with the level of support that Technicolor provided, friendly, personable and knowledgable.

FCPX Plugin Technicolor Color Assist Gone 29 Jun 2013 08:30 #27893

• Julian
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 32
Wait, was this the new Technicolor plugin that they showed at NAB? With the round tripping and other great features?

FCPX Plugin Technicolor Color Assist Gone 29 Jun 2013 11:33 #27897

• cseeman
  • Platinum Boarder
Julian wrote:
Wait, was this the new Technicolor plugin that they showed at NAB? With the round tripping and other great features?

As per my link to the fcp.co article, yes.

I wonder if they ran into a patent issue. I can't believe it would be a lack of sales. Don't forget this was also available for After Effects.

The only other issue I can think of is that they became aware of changes coming in either or both programs (FCPX, After Effects) that would have hampered development in some serious fashion.

FCPX Plugin Technicolor Color Assist Gone 29 Jun 2013 14:05 #27903

• alex4D
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 250
It's possible that the maker of a major NLE has bought Technicolor's technology to include in the next major update of their app…

Technicolor mentioned that they'll be stopping support on Monday September 30th.

@Alex4D
Last Edit: 29 Jun 2013 14:07 by alex4D.

FCPX Plugin Technicolor Color Assist Gone 29 Jun 2013 14:14 #27904

• cseeman
  • Platinum Boarder
alex4D wrote:
It's possible that the maker of a major NLE has bought Technicolor's technology to include in the next major update of their app…

Technicolor mentioned that they'll be stopping support on Monday September 30th.

@Alex4D

Reading your comments outdoes the rumor sites. :woohoo:
So you think Adobe is choosing this and abandoning SpeedGrade. ;)
Seems logical to me given my guess about FCPS grading feature improvements based on the dual GPU MacPro Tube.
But given the suddenness of the announcement it would seem the deal just closed and, I'd think that would be cutting things rather close... or Apple already had a contingency well developed.
Last Edit: 29 Jun 2013 14:14 by cseeman.

FCPX Plugin Technicolor Color Assist Gone 29 Jun 2013 16:23 #27913

• sidderke
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22
If Alex's comments are true, and IF this would be about Apple, then on one hand I would be happy because I really want Apple to bring more features of Color including Color Wheels into FCPX again, but on the other hand, if we are talking about Apple: why would they buy outside technology when they HAVE great technology in-house (Color, although it could use a couple of updates).

FCPX Plugin Technicolor Color Assist Gone 29 Jun 2013 16:34 #27914

• cseeman
  • Platinum Boarder
Assuming this purchase is true, maybe because Color Assist technology is more appropriate to FCPX ranging from the way it communicates with FCPX to the 64bit code base, etc.

FCPX Plugin Technicolor Color Assist Gone 29 Jun 2013 16:55 #27915

• alex4D
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 250
IF Apple have bought it, all the app's functionality is unlikely to appear in a Final Cut Pro update this year:

1. They wanted their better scopes code - they already have the rest of its features in progress or

2. The features will appear in 2014 or later or

3. They'll bundle it with Final Cut Pro (unlikely).

@Alex4D

FCPX Plugin Technicolor Color Assist Gone 29 Jun 2013 17:11 #27916

• cseeman
  • Platinum Boarder
I could see adding Curves though for example, in the FCPX MacPro targeted update.

FCPX Plugin Technicolor Color Assist Gone 29 Jun 2013 17:14 #27917

• Mark Dobson
  • Junior Boarder
Technicolor recently ran a product development survey and this decision could well have resulted from the conclusions of the survey.

I could have kept the software and seen how long it ran for beyond September 30th but decided to cash my chips in. The software had improved considerably from it's initial FCPX launch but was still quite awkward to use.

Speculating on the fate of Color Assist is fun and no doubt the reason for sudden withdrawal will surface soon.

FCPX Plugin Technicolor Color Assist Gone 29 Jun 2013 17:31 #27919

• cseeman
  • Platinum Boarder
Assuming you took the survey, what questions did they ask that might have caused them to change direction? People regretting they bought it? Asking for features that they couldn't implement? Curious about your thoughts on what the survey might have led too.

Of course this is all fun... maybe not for those looking forward to improvements that will never come though.

FCPX Plugin Technicolor Color Assist Gone 29 Jun 2013 19:53 #27922

• cseeman
  • Platinum Boarder
Just to toss out some more random speculation, perhaps Apple hired some of their programmers with needed skills in developing FCPX's own grading functions... rather than buying any aspect of the Color Assist code base.

FCPX Plugin Technicolor Color Assist Gone 30 Jun 2013 00:43 #27933

I don't see anything in Color Assist that would lead me to believe there'd be substantial benefit in either acquiring the product or the talent.

Apple already has access to the code for a much more sophisticated product in Color. And it's clear they've brought some of that functionality to FCPX already.

Resolve Lite has just about murdered the medium tier in this category. The large majority of people are either just going to grade in FCPX (with some using cheap Look bundles, or maybe Magic Bullet), or they're going to take the time to go to Resolve, either on their own or by hiring that part out.

The lower end products are getting more advanced and the higher end products are getting cheaper. This is why the Final Cut Express, Soundtrack Pros, and Color Assists are disappearing. They're getting squeezed from both ends.
Last Edit: 30 Jun 2013 00:44 by Disproportionate Pictures.