Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Apple At LAFCPUG - (semi) Live Thread

Re: Apple At LAFCPUG - (semi) Live Thread 28 Jun 2012 03:01 #10460

• BenB
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1279
Demo of FCP X with Promise RAID, using 10.0.3? Really?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Apple At LAFCPUG - (semi) Live Thread 28 Jun 2012 03:11 #10461

I feel sorry for this guy. He better have something of substance to talk about or the crowd might kill him!

Re: Apple At LAFCPUG - (semi) Live Thread 28 Jun 2012 03:11 #10462

"Ok folks, lets now demo you another Final Cut Pro X feature, the color board...Yes in case any of you have never seen it......."

Re: Apple At LAFCPUG - (semi) Live Thread 28 Jun 2012 03:11 #10463

• BenB
  • Platinum Boarder
Abso-freaking-lutly nothing new. I was afraid of this. The Apple FCP team couldn't do a public event correctly if you put a gun to their collective heads. Apple is really making this hard on us loyal users. REALLY hard. More than half over, and they're talking about plugins we all already know about.

WTF?

Re: Apple At LAFCPUG - (semi) Live Thread 28 Jun 2012 03:16 #10464

• BenB
  • Platinum Boarder
15 minutes left, they haven't talked about "Significant new feature releases" as advertised. I feared this. The FCP team just shot themselves in the foot again. Folks on Twitter and Facebook are NOT happy with this snooze fest. I feel sick.

Re: Apple At LAFCPUG - (semi) Live Thread 28 Jun 2012 03:17 #10465

Even if they do pull out some new feature news at the end, this was undisputedly the WRONG presentation for this crowd.

Re: Apple At LAFCPUG - (semi) Live Thread 28 Jun 2012 03:18 #10466

Maybe this guy from Apple think we are all iMovie editors? :woohoo:

Re: Apple At LAFCPUG - (semi) Live Thread 28 Jun 2012 03:21 #10467

They aren't making it easy for us to love/defend them.

Re: Apple At LAFCPUG - (semi) Live Thread 28 Jun 2012 03:22 #10468

• BenB
  • Platinum Boarder
We should all email Tim Cook as soon as this is over and tell him how much they ef'ed up and totally disappointed us "professionals" with a very "consumer" presentation. I'm not joking. Want the email address?

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Last Edit: 28 Jun 2012 03:25 by BenB.

Re: Apple At LAFCPUG - (semi) Live Thread 28 Jun 2012 03:24 #10469

• Seanus
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Sean Lander - Rednail Media
  • Thank you received: 75
Yes this looks more like a "State of the Union" address. The significant new features were the features that have been added in the past twelve months. So preaching to the converted sadly and probably not enough to convince the haters to consider it.

Ho hum.
Sean Lander - Editing since 1982 - AVID 1991 - FCP 1999 - FCPX 2011
Last Edit: 28 Jun 2012 03:26 by Seanus.

Re: Apple At LAFCPUG - (semi) Live Thread 28 Jun 2012 03:32 #10470

• rogersuski
  • Fresh Boarder
well at least you guys who are there get to look forward to the raffle. Is the "new" FCPX one of the prizes, complete with Multicam? ...and a really great keyer

Re: Apple At LAFCPUG - (semi) Live Thread 28 Jun 2012 03:36 #10471

• BenB
  • Platinum Boarder
I'm not there, I'm just following the live Twitter feed. And no one is saying the show is over. They just started hating. It fizzled out really super badly.

Good night. I have a very serious email to write Tim Cook in the morning. I encourage everyone else to do the same.

Re: Apple At LAFCPUG - (semi) Live Thread 28 Jun 2012 03:51 #10472

...and the significant new features are...! The ones we told you about in March.

A horrible... horrible presentation, and a terrible misreading of the audience.

The program itself is improving by leaps and bounds... and I think could legitimately win a lot of people over, but unfortunately every other aspect of Apples positioning and marketing of the program has been an error of the worst kind.

What was Apple's motivation to do this? It would have been far better from an optics perspective if they hadn't showed up at all. Then people would have just been waiting for the next update as usual. But they're actively aggravating people.
Last Edit: 28 Jun 2012 03:53 by Disproportionate Pictures.

Re: Apple At LAFCPUG - (semi) Live Thread 28 Jun 2012 04:03 #10473

Well, after tonight, I'm going to play the pessimistic card and say that we're back to the regular update schedule. Which means we won't see 10.0.6 until somewhere around Tuesday August 21st.

Re: Apple At LAFCPUG - (semi) Live Thread 28 Jun 2012 04:05 #10474

Tonight we learned:

1. Poor communication by Apple on this LAFCPUG event...Mislead myself and many others

2. There is no "new" additional features, only the ones Larry Jordan broke around NAB time, and we have no timeline on when to expect them..."later this year", ......yeah - ok

3. iOS is apple's bread and butter... this pro app and mac stuff is definitely on the back burner

Good night
Last Edit: 28 Jun 2012 04:08 by VideoJounalistGB. Reason: spelling

Re: Apple At LAFCPUG - (semi) Live Thread 28 Jun 2012 04:11 #10475

• Mickey G
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
It seems Apple didn’t show any new features and any hopes of an update within the next 3 months is out.

I have mixed feelings on this but Apple is in a tough position.

On one hand Apple needs to make up to us loyalist who have bought FCPX day1 and have stuck through it.
I think the whole FCPX/iMovie Pro comparison is completely ridiculous but lets be real, there were some very questionable feature omissions and bugs when it was released.

What they need to do for us is cut this secrecy crap and give us a roadmap of features, a strong indication of they’re commitment to the pro market (this includes updates on the status of MacPros, what and when can we expect from FCPX, at least within the next 6 months to a year)

On the other hand they need to appeal to new comers and the folks who have bailed on FCPX and can not give too much away to the competition.
I can understand why they may not have demo’d new features tonight if an update won’t be ready for another 6 or so months.
For example when they announced multicam was coming, the competition and most naysayers were probably laughing there asses off that Apple was just getting around to re-introducing features but the way multicam was implemented IMO blew the doors off what the competition was doing. So I see the need for Apple to “keep a lid on it"

I did not see tonights demo but I think they did the right thing about putting a demo together with the features that FCPX is capable of now.
I can’t tell you how many discussion I’ve had with other “professional” editors who or holding out on trying FCPX or have switched to other programs from FCP7 because of the fact that there is no multicam or cannot work with .PSD files or a certain plugin is not compatible yada yada yada, I tell them yes it can, yes it can, yes it can.

Problem is the negativity spread like wildfire during launch (Apple really failed to do damage control during this time) and a lot of people gave up. Yes tonights presentation may have disappointing to many of us who are using FCPX regularly and know how to work all these new features but soooo many working professionals are still not aware of what FCPX is capable of now so Apple NEEDS to finally do damage control and market the hell out of the app and I think they are somewhat on the right track.

Just my 2 cents

Re: Apple At LAFCPUG - (semi) Live Thread 28 Jun 2012 04:18 #10476

Mickey I completely hear ya....

Apple is focused on where the $$$ is like any money greed focused company.... And that's iOS...So things like FCPX and Mac Pros are low priority.

Re: Apple At LAFCPUG - (semi) Live Thread 28 Jun 2012 04:19 #10477

• Mickey G
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
BenB wrote:
Apple is really making this hard on us loyal users. REALLY hard. More than half over, and they're talking about plugins we all already know about.

WTF?

This is what I’m talking about, I’ve talked to so many editors who are not aware that these plug-ins are compatible and that x feature now works, etc.
Apple needs to demo FCPX and get it out there for all these hold-outs who haven’t been paying attention as you and I have. I mean knowing multicam is now implemented and seeing it actually work is two different things.

However I see your point about making it hard for us loyalist. I love FCPX as it is now but there are a few more features that I really want to make things easier and I’d like to know when/if I can expect them. Apple really needs to open up and be a bit more aggressive with they’re announcements and plans.

Re: Apple At LAFCPUG - (semi) Live Thread 28 Jun 2012 04:20 #10478

• sidderke
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 22
What a big dissapointment.

No demo on new features (was important with the latest big features-update already back from January or so.

Not a clear communication or Message towards the professional community.

Actually they made it worse by:

- Giving a hint that Mountain Lion may or may not break FCP7.

- Saying that the big Tim Cook email wasn't about New Mac Pro's but 'something for pros?'
Did I understand that right? Even If they just mean that the new Mac Pro Will be a lot different then the one we know, that's a terrible communication to give.

Really wondering how things are at the FCPX team right now and if they have any clue about their audience.
Cs6 is getting more seducing every day.

Re: Apple At LAFCPUG - (semi) Live Thread 28 Jun 2012 04:20 #10479

• rogersuski
  • Fresh Boarder
Yes, it is evolving in great strides...and perhaps better than other competition, but it seems like ultimate catch-up. If the rumor about some manager "dumbing down" is true, they should own up to it. Admit the problem. Saying sorry can get you a lot of cred back.