With camera resolutions growing by thousands of pixels every NAB, it means that every slight imperfection of an actress or actors skin now gets captured with pin sharp clarity. Beauty Box 2 is a plugin that softens those minor blemishes and it now works in Final Cut Pro X too.
We had a slight inkling that Beauty Box 2 was going to be released soon as we were in discussion with Jim Tierney from Digital Anarchy during the Red User party at NAB this year. We like his website's description of skin smoothing.
"Smoothing is similar to the story of Goldilocks and her three Bears: It requires the perfect middle ground. Too much smoothing can make your subject's skin look a little plastic. Too little smoothing will not make enough correction. Most skin retouching software goes overboard with skin smoothing."
Beauty Box 2.0 gives an amazing speed increase as OpenCL is in the porridge, a new technology that runs on ATI and Nvidia cards. The new product also introduces a new smoothing algorithm that improves automatic masking, and adds shine removal for hot spots on skin areas.
“Our biggest request has been for increased speed, and this 2.0 release delivers on that,“ said Jim Tierney, President of Digital Anarchy. “Beauty Box is now about 300% faster on most video cards. The best part is that it’s as great as ever at producing subtle skin smoothing that looks beautifully realistic. You get the same high quality rendering that won Beauty Box all the awards and accolades, like Videomaker’s Plugin of the Year and Event DV’s Best of NAB.”
New features include:
- Faster Rendering:·A complete rewrite of the skin-smoothing algorithm means Beauty Box is up to 300% faster on ATI and NVIDIA cards.
- Shine Removal:Get rid of hot spots caused by shiny skin and bright lights! This feature dramatically reduces the effect of poor lighting conditions.
- Better Masking:·The skin tone mask algorithm has been improved for a better automatic mask.
- Support for Final Cut Pro X:·Beauty Box now fully supports Final Cut Pro X, along with earlier versions of FCP.
- Better Performance in Premiere Pro:The new algorithm brings improved stability and speed in Premiere Pro.
- More Host Apps Coming Soon:·Support for OpenFX host apps like Sony Vegas Pro, Assimilate Scratch, and Nuke will be available in Q2 2012. Avid support available in Q3 2012.
To see some samples of Beauty Box 2 in action (no embedding as the movies need to be seen large) click on the links below
The normal price for the plugin is $199, but will be on sale for $139 until June 1st, 2012. Upgrades are priced at $59 (reg. $89) until June 1st, 2012, Beauty Box Video also runs in After Effects 7.0–CS6, Final Cut Pro 7, and Premiere Pro CS4–CS6. There is a free demo on their website if you would like to try it out.