The second round of news, this being the first camera announcement. Building on the strength of the 5DmkII, Canon have launched the EOS C300. Price now looks to be up around $20,000 for the PL mount version. Pictures coutesy of Engadget.
Details are slightly vague at the moment as Canon are yet to publish the official specs online. We've been watching the live blog feed from Engadget since the beginning and they have provided a constant stream of images. Some outline spec from our friends over on HDWarrior at the end. They have aslo pointed out that Canon have announced a new 'C" DSLR that is being developed especially for shooting 4K.
Zacuto have got their hands on one early and are offering their normal bolt on bits, video at the bottom of the article.
- Single 8.3 megapixel 2160Ã—3840 Super-35 CMOS sensor (4K resolution) with Digic DV III processor
- Canon XF codec (50Mbps 4:2:2 1080p30 MPEG2 MXF) records to two Compact Flash card slots
- Canon Log gamma, SDI, compact body, Custom Presets and menus similar to Canon XF series
- Exposure and focus control are completely manual â€” there is no AE or AF on either camera
- Sold as a system, incl. LCD monitor / XLR audio unit, side grip, top handle, batt. & charger
- Availability: Jan. 2012; Price: appx. $16,000 USD (for C300)
The rest of theÂ·Cinema EOS system includes Canonâ€™s own high-end cinema zoom lensesâ€¦ first their two zooms, the PL-mount versions of which were previously announced and exhibited earlier this year back in April at NAB2010. All resolve to 4K:
- Canon Zoom Lens CN-E14.5-60mm T2.6 L S (wide zoom, EF version)
- Canon Zoom Lens CN-E14.5-60mm T2.6 L SP (wide zoom, PL version)
- Canon Zoom Lens CN-E30-300mm T2.95-3.7 L S (telephoto zoom, EF version)
- Canon Zoom Lens CN-E30-300mm T2.95-3.7 L SP (telephoto zoom, PL version)
And three yet-to-be-released primes, all resolve to 4K but all are EF-mount only:
- Canon Prime Lens CTZ-029 (24mm)
- Canon Prime Lens CTZ-030 (50mm)
- Canon Prime Lens CTZ-031 (85mm)
Does it live up to the hype? Maximum resolution of 1080 seems a bit of a dissapointment, but the official tech specs and online test movies will be interesting. Nice to see our expensive L glass might have a second life.